How to Treat Candida at Home: Doctors Advice
How to Get Rid of Thrush
Thrush is a form of yeast infection caused by the Candida fungus. It often affects the mouth and causes white patches inside the mouth, on the gums and on the tongue. Painful lesions and open red sores can develop under these curd-like white patches. Thrush can occur on other areas of the body, as well, causing vaginal yeast infections in women and diaper rash in infants. Thrush can affect anyone, but it is more prevalent in infants, older adults and those with delicate or weak immune systems.
Trying Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
Try "oil pulling."Oil pulling rests on the yet-untested theory that oils literally pulls toxins out of your system.Although results haven't been conclusive, many people use oil pulling to fight the Candida fungus and to provide temporary relief. Here's how to do it. The process is quite simple.
- Brush your teeth beforehand. Oil pull on an empty stomach if at all possible.
- Take one tablespoon of oil and swill it around in your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure it coats every possible part of your mouth — under you tongue, in your gums, the roof of your mouth.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, spit the oil out and rinse with saltwater.
- You can do this twice per day for five days. Try doing it once after you wake up in the morning and again before bed.
- Use coconut oil for best results, although olive oil works too. Coconut oil is rumored to be particularly effective in fighting fungi.
Try taking thyme.The herb thyme is also supposed to be an effective aid in getting rid of oral thrush, although science has yet to substantiate it.In Europe, thyme is used to treat upper respiratory conditions and thrush. Try sprinkling a moderate amount of thyme on any dish that will take it! You could even make a tincture out of it.
Swish with apple cider vinegar.Take a little bit of apple cider vinegar, dilute it with about a half part of distilled water, and swish it in your mouth for several minutes.
- Another option is to mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a full 8 ounces of water and drink before every meal. The vinegar is supposed to fight off intestinal yeast overgrowth that sometimes contributes to oral thrush.
- Some people find this method impossible because of the strong taste associated with the vinegar. You might also experience stomach gurgling when you start the treatment, so don’t start this treatment right before a meeting or another situation where you may feel embarrassed.
Try eating more garlic.Garlic, replete with several different sulphur-containing compounds such as allicin, alliin, alliinase and S-allylcysteine, is reputed to help fight a broad range of fungi, including thrush. Fresh garlic works better than garlic pills, so try to find a way to get more of it into your diet.
- For best results, try taking 4 to 5 crushed cloves of garlic per day. If you're worried about chaotic garlic breath, try drinking 3 to 4 cups of garlic tea daily.
Use a bit of tea tree oil.Tee tree oil is renowned for its anti-fungal (and anti-bacterial) properties.It's a common home remedy for everything from acne to athlete's foot. But it's also used for thrush. Dilute one or two drops into a tablespoon of distilled water, insert Q-tip, and dab onto sores inside the mouth.Rinse mouth afterwards with saltwater.
Take preventative measures to keep oral thrush from returning.After you get rid of thrush, it is important to do what you can to prevent it from coming back. This includes:
- Brushing your teeth 2 to 3 times a day.
- Replacing your toothbrush often, especially during a thrush outbreak.
- Being sure to floss your teeth once a day.
Refrain from using mouthwash, breath sprays or breath mints.These products tend to upset the normal microorganism balance in your mouth. Remember that your body contains a host ofgoodmicroorganisms that effectively serve to fight "bad" ones. Harming these may pave the way for the bad ones to take over.
- Instead, you can use a saline solution to rinse your mouth. You can create a saline solution by stirring half a spoon of salt into a glass of warm water.
Visit your dentist at least twice a year.It is important to see your dentist at least twice per year, and more often if you wear dentures or have diabetes or a weak immune system. A dentist may be able to spot a thrush outbreak, or possible outbreak, sooner than you will, leading to quicker treatment.
Cut down on your sugar and starch intake.Candida fungus thrives on sugar. To stop it from thriving, you should cut down on the amount of starches you eat. This includes beer, bread, soda, alcohol, most cereals and wine. These foods feed the fungus and can prolong the Candida infection.
Quit smoking.Smokers are more likely to develop oral thrush than non-smokers. If you smoke, then do what you can to quit. Talk to your doctor for information abut medications and other options to help you quit smoking.
Using Medically-Verified Treatments for Oral Thrush
Visit your dentist or your family doctor.If you think you have thrush, then it is important t see your dentist or family doctor for an evaluation and diagnosis. If a medical professional determines that you have oral thrush, he will start your treatment immediately. Healthy adults and children can get rid of thrush more easily than others.
Begin treatment as soon as possible.Treatment for thrush in healthy patients generally starts with acidophilus tablets.A medical professional may also suggest eating plain unsweetened yogurt.
- Acidophilus and plain yogurt will not destroy fungus, but they will reduce the infection and help restore a normal balance of bacterial flora in your body. Acidophilus and yogurts are both probiotics.
Rinse your mouth with a warm saltwater solution.Saltwater temporarily creates an inhospitable environment for the thrush fungus to live in.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of table salt to 1 cup (237 ml) warm water. Stir well before rinsing.
Take an anti-fungal medication.Your doctor can prescribe an anti-fungal medication if symptoms persist or if you have a weak immune system.
- You will generally take an anti-fungal medication for a period of 10 to 14 days. This medication is available in tablets, lozenges and liquid forms.
- Make certain you take this medication as directed and in its entirety.
- Antibiotics may also produce thrush especially in women or in patients who have experienced thrush in the past. In this case, your doctor may ask you to take an anti-fungal medication along with antibiotics
Use amphotericin B when other medications don't work or are no longer effective.Candida fungus often becomes resistant to anti-fungal medications, especially in people with HIV and other illnesses that cause weak immune systems. Talk to your doctor about amphotericin B if nothing seems to be working.
Getting Rid of Vaginal Thrush
Wait for your period.Vaginal thrush is actually just a yeast infection. While you can't dictate when you go on your period, menstruation will change the pH of the vagina, rendering it less hospitable for the Candida fungus.
Use the laced-tampon strategy.Lace your tampon with a little something, although probably not during your period. Here are some suggestions for what to lace your tampon with in order to combat vaginal thrush:
- Dip it in unsweetened yogurt. Apply the tampon immediately, before it expands. Guard especially against leakage.
- Dip it in diluted tea tree oil. Apply the tampon immediately, before it expands. Guard especially against leakage.
Try to avoid using latex condoms, spermicidal creams, and lubricants.In fact, in addition to avoiding these, try to avoid sex during a yeast infection. Yeast infections can be transmitted back and forth during sex, creating a vicious cycle and prolonging the infection.
QuestionMy tongue is cracked, white, and has tiny little bumps on it and is sore. It may be thrush. What can I do if I don't have medical insurance?
Doctor of Dental SurgeryDoctor of Dental SurgeryExpert AnswerRinse with saline water to maintain an alkaline pH of the entire oral mucosa and keep a good oral hygiene. If there are no changes in two days, then you should see at least a dentist to establish a diagnostic or even make a referral. The origin is diverse and may vary from allergy, irritation from dental work or even a side effect from a medicine.Thanks!
QuestionI have had little pimple like sores on top and under my tongue. They look like whiteheads that are painful and oversized. My tongue is bright red and larger than normal. Have seen my DDS, and it is from a low immune system along with taking at least 12 different medicines. I'm on 6th bottle liquid of medicine. Can you help me please?
Doctor of Dental SurgeryDoctor of Dental SurgeryExpert AnswerIn this case you will need to consult an oral pathologist to establish the exact type of pathology involved and to conduct an entire series of tests for that. Taking too many medicines is not going to help that much because it is a matter of time until the pain will calm down.Thanks!
QuestionCan cough lozenges cause thrush?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. However, the cough could be an indication of stomach acid issues, i.e GERD/GORD (as these do cause a persistent cough which worsens over time) and you could have thrush in your gut and esophagus causing a candida overgrowth. Speak to your GP.Thanks!
QuestionWill thrush in the mouth affect my eyes or eyesight?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, thrush in your mouth will not affect your eyesight.Thanks!
QuestionCan thrush be reddish or brown in color?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you smoke, it can.Thanks!
QuestionCan using an inhaler cause thrush?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf it contains a steroid it can. Make sure you rinse the mouthpiece of your inhaler each time you use it. After using it, rinse your mouth out completely and spit. Using a saltwater solution is even better.Thanks!
QuestionCan an adult who has thrush drink milk?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDairy products can make thrush symptoms worse, so I recommend you avoid them.Thanks!
QuestionCan I give oral thrush to somebody by kissing them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you can pass on oral thrush to somebody by kissing them.Thanks!
QuestionCan you get medicine from the pharmacist?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. He or she usually will prescribe nystatin liquid, or if that doesn't work, an anti-fungal pill.Thanks!
QuestionIf I have a mild case of thrush and a sore throat, can I still have my scheduled root canal if I have no fever?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should probably get it checked out by a doctor first. You don't want to infect your dentist.Thanks!
Does thrush hide in my CPAP mask?
I'm a child and my dad says it is not something I should worry about, but I want it gone. But I don't know how?
Can I get rid of mouth thrush with warm salt and water instead of taking Fluconazole?
My tongue is red and sore after Endoscopy. Is there anything I can do for it?
- If you have thrush and are nursing your infant, it's important to treat the infant and yourself to prevent the yeast infection from going back and forth.
- If you are sexually active and have thrush, it's important for both you and your partner to receive treatment. Otherwise, you may pass the infection back and forth.
- Rinse all infant nipples, pacifiers, bottles, teething toys and detachable breast pump parts with equal parts of water and white vinegar. Allow these items to air dry to prevent fungus growth.
- Wash bras and nursing pads in hot water with bleach.
Things You'll Need
Plain unsweetened yogurt
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) table salt
1 cup (237 ml) warm water
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Deutsch: , Italiano: , 中文: , Français: , Nederlands: , Русский: , Čeština: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , हिन्दी: , ไทย: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: Taking Care of Your Children : How to Treat Oral Thrush in Newborns
Debra Messing credits a big overhaul in her diet to keeping healthy
Dark matter clumps punched through a stream of stars leaving two holes
How A Pillow Could Alleviate Your Pain
How to Plan Your Life
Elderflower and Raspberry Jelly Recipe
The Jewellery That Will Take Your Wedding Guest Outfit To The Next Level
Resistance Bands Challenge: Week 3 – Chest Back
10 Best Long Hairstyles For Black Hair
Meet Our New Girl Crush, Susie Wolff, Who Just Made Formula One History
Lulus Alden Cream Cropped Balloon Sleeve Knit Sweater Size Medium
Usertalk: Louis Bernard