DIY Furniture Cleaners with Olive Oil
How to Make Furniture Polish Using Olive Oil
It is very easy to make your own furniture polish if you want to skip the chemicals in commercial furniture polishes. There are two ways to make olive oil polish, depending on the level of polishing that your furniture needs. This kind of polish is best used on furniture that has an oiled finish rather than a shiny varnish. It's not a one-size-fits-all solution, but an alternative that some people may find worth trying.
Choose cheap olive oil for furniture polish.The cheapest oil, olive pomace oil, is just fine for the purposes of making furniture polish.
Deep Cleansing Furniture Oil
Combine the olive oil and vinegar (using proportions specified below) in a glass or ceramic container.
Apply the polish with a soft polishing cloth.Do not rub it in too hard but leave it to soak in.
Allow to air dry.
Regular Cleaning Furniture Oil
Combine the oil and lemon juice in a glass or ceramic container.
Apply with a soft polishing cloth.
Use the soft cloth to shine the furniture by rubbing briskly.
Allow to air dry if it hasn't already through buffing.
QuestionDoes the mineral oil and lemon juice mixture clean leather furniture?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe most effective way to clean leather furniture is to use water-diluted lemon juice, then wiping the furniture with clean water. On more heavily-stained furniture, a few drops of vinegar mixed in with the lemon-and-water solution will help further to remove the stain.Thanks!
QuestionWhat kind of vinegar should I use?Top AnswererPlain white vinegar is good.Thanks!
QuestionCan someone give three examples of homemade polish?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can use coke, lime or lemon and you can also purchase polish from the store.Thanks!
QuestionCan an old and outdated olive oil be used?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, unless it smells bad and you do not want the smell on your furniture.Thanks!
How do I remove oil if I have used too much on my furniture?
What proportion oil to vinegar?
What are the steps involved in the production of homemade cleaning agents?
Can I stain the timber after polishing with olive oil and vinegar?
Is mineral oil okay for cleaning leather?
- Do not keep these polishes - they should be made and used on the same day. Dispose of the polishes as you would dispose of olive oil.
- A better choice of oil is ordinary drugstore mineral oil (sold as a laxative) because it will never go rancid and is completely food safe.
- The first polish penetrates deeply; the second polish is more suitable for more regular cleaning and the lemon scent is delightful.
- This polish isn't guaranteed to work with every kind of furniture. For example, because the lemon juice and vinegar are water soluble, acidic solutions, they are probably more suitable for polyurethane or laminate cover furniture. If you don't want to risk staining a valuable antique piece of furniture, you may need to rely on a commercial polish after all.
- Applying this polish on fine, antique furniture may result in an undesired haze.
- Using any other kind of vinegar may stain.
- Do a test on a small section of the furniture first. If you find that the mixture leaves your furniture too oily, or you're worried about the oil getting rancid in hot weather, alter your proportions to include less oil.
Things You'll Need
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
soft polishing cloth
1 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup of fresh lemon juice
soft polishing cloth
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Italiano: , Русский:
Video: How to make Natural Wood Furniture Polish
French Connection’s AW18 Collection Has Everything Your Wardrobe Needs This Season
What Does a 1.5 Million Engagement Ring Looks Like
5 Rules for Keeping Your Closet Spotless (That Really Work)
Fact: Purple Lip Gloss is Surprisingly Flattering
A-Trak explains what DJs actually do
Chloë Moretz Named Aéropostale’s Face
Marie Claire Joins The British Army For A Day
Meet the Simple White Blouse Thats Having a Major Moment
Netflix werkt aan Nederlandse Netflix Original-serie
Top Android IOS Apps for Fitness
An Open Letter to My Kids on the First Day of School
How to Send a Compliment to a User on Yelp